This laisse-faire-kind of dish that turned out to be amazingly full of flavor and satisfying; the perfect Saturday afternoon lunch. The key is butter and browning, oh and don’t forget that important pasta water!
I used some left over pasta -hence the two shapes and some left-over breakfast sausage. Maybe I should have called this “Left-over Pasta”?
*Tip: Start the water boiling at the same time you start browning the veg for a come together at once/aha moment.
- 1 Italian Sausage, cooked and diced
- 1 Onion sliced thinly
- 1/2 C. Fennel, sliced thinly
- Olive Oil
- 3 Tbs Butter
- .75-1lb Shaped pasta
- 1/2 C. Parmesan Cheese
- Red pepper flakes
- Bring a large pot of water to boil – salt and add pasta – cook 2 minutes shy of al dente.
- At the same time, heat butter and several glugs of Olive Oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat
- Sautée onion, fennel, sausage and thyme – make sure and get some nice color on the veg, salting & peppering as you go
- Once pasta is done, add directly to veg, along with a cup of pasta water and parmesan
- Finish with extra cheese, red-pepper flakes and a drizzle of O.O.